Candidates for Region 1 Director
Math Teacher, Saint Peter Middle/High School (Since 1990)
B.A., Math Education, Gustavus Adolphus College, 1989.
M.S., Math Education, Minnesota State University-Mankato, 2001
Goals as MCTM Officer
I would like to encourage more math teachers in my district and region to be members of MCTM and attend the Spring Conference. As an MCTM officer, I would listen to concerns brought forth by members in my region and work to address those concerns. I would be happy to help in any way that I can to facilitate the continued work of the Council.
Involvement in MCTM, NCTM and Mathematics Education
I have been an MCTM and NCTM member my entire career. For the last three years I have been the Mathematic PLC leader for my school. I have been involved in four of MDE’s Improving Teacher Quality (ITQ) initiatives through Minnesota State University – twice as a participant and twice as a teacher coach. In 2012 I was a co-presenter at a regional technology conference held in Mankato (Innovation Zone) and in 2013 I was a presenter at a regional PLC conference (also held in Mankato).
Math Specialist for District 241- Albert Lea Area Schools
B.S., Elementary Education, Iowa State University, 1991.
M.A., Education, Iowa State University, 2007
PreK-12 Administration License, Drake University, 2012
Goals as MCTM Officer
As a MCTM Officer I want to make sure all the schools are aware of: the direction MCTM is going for our teachers and students, networking opportunities available near them and resources for their classrooms.
- NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) 2005- Present
- MCTM (Minnesota Council of Teachers of Mathematics) 2014-Present
- ICTM (Iowa Council of Teachers of Mathematics) 2005-Present
- ASCD (Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) 2007-Present
- MN ASCD (Minnesota Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) 2016-Present
- IASCD (Iowa Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) 2007-Present
Involvement in MCTM and Mathematics Education
- I have been a presenter at the last two MCTM conferences (2015, 2016)
- Since May 2016 I have been filling the vacancy of the Region 1 Director’s term due to a seat left open due to transferring positions in a different state.
- I attend and participate in the Minnesota Leaders meetings held at the department of education for the last three years.
- I am passionate about math education at all levels for each and every student. I strive to build a math-positive culture here at Albert Lea and across the state of Minnesota.
- I attend and participate in multiple social media opportunities to encourage mathematical education across the U.S. (twitter, podcasts, webinars etc.)
- From 1993-2005 elementary/middle school math and technology teacher
- 2005-2014 worked for state of Iowa as a Math specialist leading multiple initiative rollouts concerning math and professional learning communities in a variety of school districts in the Northern Iowa.